THE WAY OF ATONEMENT
Key Verse: 4:31
I. The sin offering (4:1-5:13)
- Read verses 4:1-35. What kind of sins does God mention? (2) When the anointed priest sins, what is the way of atonement for him? (4-12) What about for the whole Israelite community(13-21), for a leader(22-26) and for a member of the community(27-35)? How and why are they different?
- What are the spiritual meanings of sprinkling the blood? Of the horns? Of burning the sin offering outside the camp? (12,21, Ps 103:12; Heb13:11-12)
- Read verses 5:1-13. What else make a person guilty? (5:1-4) What must he do for the atonement? (5,6)? If he cannot afford a lamb? (7-10) If, however, he cannot afford even two young birds? (11-13) What can we learn about God and atonement?
II. The guilt offering (5:14-6:7)
- Read verses 5:14-6:7. When were the Israelites commanded to offer the Guilt Offering? What must they do for their atonement? What are the characteristics of the Guilt Offering?
- Find out the repeated sentence, “…the priest will make atonement,..will be forgiven.” (4:20,26,31; 5:6,10,13,18; 6:7) Think about God who commands atonement for every sin (Ex 34:7; Lev 11:44,45), the role of the priest and the purpose of the sin offering and the guilt offering? How did Jesus, our eternal High Priest fulfill the purpose? (Heb 10:11-14)