05 Jan 2022
GOD CHANGES ABRAM INTO ABRAHAM
Key Verse 17:5
** ISHMAEL'S BIRTH (16:1-16)
1. Read verses 1 and 2. Why did Sarah and Abram think it was reasonable, and even God's will for Abram to take Hagar as a concubine? What was wrong with this direction?
2. Read verses 3 through 6. What problem arose in Abram's family after Hagar became pregnant? How did Abram and Sarai deal with this problem?
Read verses 7 through 9. How did God help Hagar? What did Hagar learn about God? Read verses 10 through 16. What did she learn about God? What do you learn about God who helped Abram?
** WALK BEFORE ME AND BE BLAMELESS (17:1-8)
4. Read verses 1 through 3. When and how did God reveal himself to Abram? Why did God tell Abram to "walk before me and be blameless"? What should Abram believe (2)? How did Abram respond?
5. Read verses 4 through 8. What is God's covenant, which God must keep (4)? Why did God change Abram's name to Abraham? To whom is this covenant available (7)?
** THE COVENANT SEALED BY CIRCUMCISION (9-27)
6. Read verses 9 through 16. What did God tell Abraham to do as a sign and seal of the covenant? How did God bless Sarai (15,16)?
7. Read verses 17 through 22. What was Abraham's response? What specific promise, however, did God give concerning his family? Why did God choose to give the spiritual blessing to Isaac instead of Ishmael?
8. Read verses 23 through 27. How did Abraham demonstrate his belief in God and in God's promises? Why might this have been difficult for him? What does the phrase "On that very day" show us about Abraham?