26 Feb 2023
TOGETHER WITH ONE VOICE GLORIFY GOD
Romans 15:1-13 Key Verse: 15:6
so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Essential Question: How can God’s people glorify him as a community?
1. Read verses 1-2. Who do you think Paul means by the “strong” and the “weak”? (cf. 14:1-2,17) Why is it difficult for the strong to bear with the failings of the weak? Why are we obligated to do so? Where can we see the “strong” bearing with the “weak” in ordinary life? How does this obligation conflict with our “rights-based” culture? What is God’s purpose in our sacrifice? (2; cf. 14:19-20)
2. Read verses 3-4. How has Christ set the example for us? (3) As followers of Christ, what is our ultimate hope? (8:29; 1Jn 3:2) How do the Scriptures help us to endure in pursuing this hope? Why do we need this help? (Isa 55:8-9; Php 3:12)
3. Read verses 5-7. What does it mean to have the “same attitude of mind” toward each other that Christ Jesus had? (cf. Php 2:3-5) Why is it difficult to do so? What do you think it means to have “one mind and one voice”? Why is it necessary? (6) Why does Paul pray to “the God who gives endurance and encouragement”? What else do we need to pray for? (7)
4. Read verses 8-12. What are some of the promises of God that Christ has confirmed for his chosen people? (8) Why did he do so? How has God shown his mercy to the Gentiles? (9a) How can be we sure that it was always God’s plan to do so? (9b-12) How does God want Jews and Gentiles to glorify him? (10) What does he want us to learn here?
5. Read verse 13. Where do true joy and peace come from? How can we experience them? How is the hope of God’s people different from that of worldly people? Where does our hope come from?
6. Read verse 6 again. How can we glorify God together as a community in 2023? What can you do towards this goal? What should we pray for?