HE WILL SAVE HIS PEOPLE FROM THEIR SINS
How do people typically react when facing embarrassing situations?
- Read verses 18-19. What do you think Joseph initially thought upon hearing this news about his bride-to-be? How did Joseph plan to handle this delicate situation?
- What would have been your reaction had you been in Joseph’s situation? What positive character qualities did Joseph possess? How do you think a typical church might have handled Mary’s pre-marriage pregnancy?
- Read verses 20-21. Why did Joseph change his plans to divorce Mary? How was Joseph’s ancestry significant? What did the angel command Joseph to name the child, and why? (21) What significant mission in life would Mary’s child have?
- Read verses 22-23. Why is Mary’s virginal conception of Christ significant? What does Immanuel mean?
- Read verses 24-25. How did Joseph respond to the angel’s instruction? How does it feel to know that you are innocent and yet have people attacking your character and whispering behind your back? How does our desire for approval or acceptance keep us from doing the right thing?
How will you respond the next time someone begins to tell you a juicy bit of gossip?