DAVID ANOINTED KING OF ISRAEL
2 Samuel 1-5
Key Verse: 5:3
- Read chapter 1. Why did David kill the Amalekite who brought Saul’s crown and armlet to David? (1-16; cf. 1Sa 31:3-5) How & why did David lament the deaths of Saul and Jonathan? (17-27) What do you learn from David?
- Read chapter 2. How did David become a king of Judah (2:1-4a) & how did Ish-bosheth become a king of the rest of the tribes? (8-11) What did David do to the men of Jabesh-gilead who had buried Saul? (4b-7) How did the battle start, progress, and result at Gibeon? (12-32)
- Read chapter 3. How did the house of David grow stronger? (3:1-5) Why & how did Abner plan to hand in Saul’s kingdom to David? (6-19) How did David & Joab respond? (20-27) How did David overcome the political crisis? (28-39)
- Read chapter 4. Why did Baanah & Rechab kill King Ish-bosheth? (4:1-8) How did King David judge them? (9-12) What do you learn from King David?
- Read chapter 5. How did all the elders of Israel finally obey God’s will? (5:1-5) What did David do after becoming a king of Israel? (6-16) How did King David save God’s people from the Philistines? (17-25) What do the chapters 1-5 mean to us?