“AWAKE DEBORAH, ARISE BARAK”
Key Verse: 5:12
- Find out the places in a map: Mesopotamia, Moab, Ammon, Amalek, Philistine, Jericho, Hazor, Kedesh, Mt. Tabor, Naphtali, Zebulun, river Kishon, Ephraim, Benjamin, Machir, Issachar, Reuben, Gilead, Dan, Asher and Meroz.
- Think about in the days of Othniel: a. Sin of Israel (3:7), b. God’s punishment (8), c. Their repentance (9a), d. God’s salvation (9b,10), e. Peace (11).
- Think about in the days of Ehud: a. Sin of Israel (12a), b. God’s punishment (12b-14), c. Their repentance (15a), d. God’s salvation (15b-29), e. Peace (30). How about in the days of Shamgar? (31, 5:6)
- Think about in the days of Deborah: a. Sin of Israel (4:1), b. God’s punishment (2), c. Their repentance (3), d. God’s salvation (4-24), e. Peace (5:31b).
- How powerful was the enemy? (3,13) Why did Deborah become a judge? (4,5; 5:7) How fearful was Barak? (8,9) Who killed Sisera? (17-22) What do you learn from them?
- Think about the situation of the Israel army. (5:8) How could they defeat the strong enemy? (4:15; 5:1-11a) Who joined the war, who didn’t, and why not? (11b-23) How serious is not to join God’s war? (23)
- How & why did God bless Jael? (4:9; 5:24-27) Think about the sorrow of Sisera’s mother. (28-30) How was verse 31 fulfilled? (31a) What do you learn from this passage?