THE DAY OF ATONEMENT
Key verse: 16:30
1. Read verses 1,2. What was God’s warning to Aaron? Why? (2b; Ex 33:20)
2. Read verses 3-14. When and how should the high priest enter the Most Holy Place? What does this teach us?
3. Read verses 15-19. How does the high priest make atonement for his people? What sins? (16,19) How and why does he make atonement for the Most Holy Place, the Tent of Meeting and the altar of incense?
4. Read verses 20-22. How is the scapegoat chosen? (7-8) How does it carry all the sins of the Israelites? (20-22) How is it related to Jesus’ sacrifice? (Jn 1:29)
5. Read verses 23-28. What other things are done? Why should the serving priests bathe themselves after service? (24,26,28) Why should they burn the flesh of the sin offerings outside the camp?
6. Read verses 29-34. Why is the Day of Atonement most important to the Israelites? (29,30,34) How must they prepare for it? (29,31) What is the most important task of the high priest on the day? (32,33) How did Jesus completely fulfill the Day of Atonement?